Wednesday, February 8, 2012

DJOKOVIC: 'I DARE TO DREAM'


Novak Djokovic, the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year, is eyeing another record-breaking season.
Speaking at Westminster Hall in London, on Monday night, the World No. 1 said, "I will try to set up my form for Roland Garros first of all, where I want to get the title and go all the way through. Then I'll start thinking about Wimbledon and the Olympics."
Djokovic will be looking to lift his firstRoland Garros trophy in June and become the eighth man in tennis history to clinch a career Grand Slam of all four major championship titles.
The 24-year-old Serbian believes he can win in Paris and then land a gold medal at the Olympic Games tennis event, which will be held at the All England Club, Wimbledon, from 28 July to 5 August.
"Why not both?" Djokovic asked. "I've learnt how to handle my schedule, how to handle myself on and off the court and to prepare for the biggest events. That is going to be the case this year. I have to stay optimistic, believe in what I can do, believe in my abilities and believe that I can win on all surfaces.
"I have proven on numerous occasions that I can really be one of the candidates to win every Grand Slam on every surface. I need to keep that up. Roland Garros is the one to win this year."
Djokovic beat Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel, sprinter Usain Bolt, Tour de France cycling champion Cadel Evans, NBA basketball star Dirk Nowitzki and Barcelona football player Lionel Messi to the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award.
"I dare to dream of becoming the best player. Now I have this special award and I think everything is possible," he said. "Serbia is a small and beautiful country, but also very poor. It has a lot of troubles and wars in the last 20 years. I hope each and every one in the world could dream."
World No. 2 Rafael Nadal, who lost to Djokovic in last year's Wimbledon, US Open and recent Australian Open finals, is the reigning Olympic champion. The Spaniard beat Fernando Gonzalez 6-3, 7-6(2), 6-3 in the 2008 final at Beijing.
Roger Federer won four straight Laureus World Sportsman of the Year awards between 2005-2008. Nadal received the 2011 award.

No comments:

Post a Comment