Thursday, December 29, 2011

Djokovic beats Monfils in Abu Dhabi exhibition

Djokovic will face Roger Federer in the semifinals on Friday, and Rafael Nadal will meet fellow Spaniard David Ferrer.
Ferrer earlier beat Jo Wilfried Tsonga of France 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2 in the six-man field of the $250,000 winner-takes-all exhibition.
Djokovic said he’s not in top form and probably needs another week or two to be match ready. But he said he doesn’t plan to play any other warm-up tournaments ahead of the Australian Open, which run Jan. 16-29.
“I was working on some things throughout the match. I was trying to find a good rhythm and I think I was playing really well for this stage,” Djokovic said. “I am saying that as I am not yet 100 percent ready to perform at this level.”
Djokovic said he looked forward with his match with Federer, who received a bye to reach the semifinals.
“It is always a challenge to play Federer whether it is a tournament or exhibition,” he said. “He will always make you play well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment