Thursday, December 22, 2011

Novak Djokovic eager to practise some revenge on upstart Bernard Tomic


THE close bond between Bernard Tomic and Novak Djokovic is set to strengthen, with the young Australian expecting to work with the world No 1 in coming weeks as he embarks on a journey to crack the world's top 10.
Tomic took a set off the Serbian in a memorable quarter-final appearance at Wimbledon last July. The world No 1 was impressed by the teenager's emerging talent, and the pair practised together several times at the All England Club.
The two also met two years ago at the 2010 Kooyong Classic exhibition tournament in a hastily organised match. Djokovic had played no lead-up tournaments that year, so wanted some match practice on the Plexicushion courts. Tomic agreed to play him - and won in three sets.
He was just 17 and Djokovic was world No 3 and a grand slam champion, having claimed the 2008 Australian Open. He now holds four major titles.
"He knows how I beat him, so he's looking forward to getting one back," said Tomic, who turns 20 next October.
Tomic expects bigger things of himself this year, not only on the ATP circuit but at the Olympics where, as one of the Australia's top-two men, he will qualify for the men's singles.It also means he will be seeded for events, starting with the Brisbane International (January 1-8).
"That's my focus as well next year. I think I'll be a part of that, so that's one of my next steps to get ready for that," he said.
Another focus will have to be his image. But Tomic, who has recently been in trouble with police for allegedly hooning around in his bright-orange BMW M3 sports car, is adamant he is no "junior Scud", or Mark Philippoussis, who attracted headlines for his women, hot cars and high times.
"No, I don't think I am, not even close to that," Tomic said. "I'm a different person. A whole lot of people are watching me. But I think I've done a good job, I've been playing some good tennis the last few years."


No comments:

Post a Comment