Sunday, March 26, 2017

What happens with Novak now?


Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic, one and two in the world, are back in Europe nursing seemingly very similar elbow injuries while the chasing pack battles it out at the Miami Open.
The comforting factor for Murray is that, whatever happens, it is mathematically almost impossible for him to lose the top ranking until the grass court season begins in early June.
Djokovic has become an enigmatic figure since achieving his dream of winning in France last year. His form has faded, at least by the extraordinary standards he had set, and he currently lies 18th if the ranking was based just on 2017 results.
After losing twice in succession to Nick Kyrgios, most recently at Indian Wells, he flew home to Monaco to have his elbow examined. In a Facebook message that had clearly not been written by professional PR experts, he told his fans: 'Believe me, it is as shocking to me, as it is to you.'
Then came a common to open to interpretation: 'No wonder they say in sport the biggest and most painful defeats come from injuries, and not from opponents. I am lucky that throughout my career I didn't have many injuries, but I guess that all that I've been through physically in the past so many years did leave a mark on my body.'



No comments:

Post a Comment